World of Warcraft, or WoW, is one of the most popular MMORPGs in the world right now. Actually, the game holds the title as the world’s most subscribed MMORPG with 5.5 million subscriptions at the end of 2015. The game was released in 2004 by Blizzard Entertainment and is part of the Warcraft franchise where we get to learn and explore the world of Azeroth.
As you can learn from the title, your character will explore a world with amazing landscapes where he or she will get to fulfill quests and fight various monsters. Even though the general presentation sounds dull, the game has the advantage of continuous gameplay. As you evolve, the character grows and learns new skills. However, each character can only have two primary professions that he /she can use to create resources. Besides these primary occupations, a character can also have hobbies or so called secondary professions.
The game creates an addictive world where anyone can find a something to do. Also, the fact that there is ongoing character development and that you can alternate individual tasks with group tasks, makes the game extremely attractive even years after release.
How to play
To play, all you have to do is select a realm (or what we call a server in the real world). Each realm is a version of the original game world and we have the following:
- The Normal Realm that promotes PvE action. Here the character must defeat monsters and complete tasks to grow and achieve skills. There is also some PvP action, but it must be consensual.
- The PvP Realm where you fight both monsters and other players for resources. Here you must keep your guard up as any player can attack at any given time.
- RP – very similar with the Normal Realm, but here you roleplay in-characters
- RP – PvP this is a combination of roleplay in-character and the player vs. player mode.
Since the release, War of Warcraft received several expansions:
- The Burning Crusade, released in 2007
- Wrath of the Lich King released in 2008
- Cataclysm released in 2010
- Mists of Pandaria in 2012
- Warlords of Draenor in 2014
- And there is another extension called Legion that is expected to be released in August 2016.
In the end, if fighting monsters and exploring fantastic worlds are two of the actions that you love, then World of Warcraft is definitely a great game for you. You can start with a free account but, if you want the entire experience, you’ll have to pay a subscription.